-E.B. White

Thursday, April 30, 2009

We eventually crossed Mobile Bay to Dog River and spent the night tied to docks at Grand Mariner Marina. The restaurant was open (yeah!!!) and we enjoyed a big plate of spicy crab claws - their specialty. We called Demopolis Marina to find out flood stage up there. They claimed the water levels had dropped and we should have no problems coming up. So we left at 6:15 AM Easter Sunday the 12th to head north. Another front was coming thru with more rain so we decided to plunge out into the choppy, rough bay rather then waiting till who knows when to leave. After passing downtown Mobile we entered the Blackwarrior River where the current slowed our progress to 3.9 MPH - UGH!!!. Anchored at 6:30pm in Bates Lake - long 12 hour day to make 62 miles.

Downtown Mobile

Just try driving 3.9 MPH sometime!

Our plans (there's that plan word again) where to make Bobby's Fish Camp today, but due to more rain the small dock was pretty much flooded. This forced us to travel in the dark to mile 123, Okatuppa Creek, arriving at 8:00 PM and traveling 70 miles and one lock in 12 1/2 hours. Tuesday the 14th we made 54 miles in 11 hours and anchored at mile 177 which is basically behind the bouys on the side of the river. The water was so deep we had to reset the anchor 3 times before it finally took - our log says we anchored at 5:10pm, 5:20pm and 5:30pm. Rick slept with one eye open watching for tows and communicating with them as to our location. The current seems to have slowed down a bit during the night - we will see what tomorrow brings. Wednesday the 15th ready to go at 6:30 AM, but anchor had set so hard in muck and weeds that it took about 15 minutes to get it up. Made 68 miles and one lock in 12 1/2 hours. Anchored at mile 245.2 along side the river bank. Thursday we made another 68 miles and two locks in 11 1/2 hours and found a nice anchorage at mile 313. The waterway is very high, carrying alot of debris and missing lots of bouys. Friday 17th of April we made our destination, Columbus Marina in Columbus, MS. We will spend a few days cleaning and Rick plans to pull the transmission to bring back to Minnesota to rebuild. Another good winter aboard Broulee. Enjoyed all the new people, dogs, old friends and new friends we met during this adventure and look forward to home at Bald Eagle Lake.

Fortunately this one missed us.

Railroad Bridge at Epes mile 247 on Tombigbee Waterway

Lots of barge traffic. These two guys tried to make a Broulee sandwich!

Passing a tow - one of us is on the wrong side of the red - hope it's him - water was so high - guess it doesn't matter.

Turbulent water at Demopolis Dam - it was like riding a surf board as we entered the lock.

Last sunrise before docking at Columbus - we will certainly miss this. Till next year!

Columbus Marina - oh something new - it's rainning - we feel gills sprouting. Nice to be in a covered slip.

Transmission is out - thanks T. Caldwell and Jimmy (gang at Columbus Marina) for lending your muscles.

Off to Minnesota - think we will need a bigger rental car.

Deb's Happy to be going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment