-E.B. White

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Gloucester (which we have sinced learned is pronounced Gloster)

Up early for a run to Portsmouth, New Hampshire (pronounced Porthsmith) and can't tell you how badly we butchered the name of the river we stayed on - Piscataqua (Pis cat a qua) - and they think us Minnesotans speak funny - uff da, vell don't ya know.   While still in Gloucester, we met the people on the S/V Cruinneag III -  they make us look like we've never left the dock - visit www.cruinneag.com to see their amazing story and journey. Hope to cross paths with them in Maine - as they are heading to the William Fife (sailing vessels that are built in Scotland) get together.
The night before we left Gloucester - boats coming in with their catch.

Early morning - leaving Gloucester Harbor.

 The Tarr and Woson Paint Manufactory - It is here where Tarr and Woson began manufacturing America's first copper bottom paint in 1863.  This building is on the National Register of Historic Places.  The Paint Factory has witnessed the departure of many generations of mariners and it signals a safe return home and a welcome to all who enter the Port of Gloucester. 
The lighthouse at Gloucester Harbor entrance.

 Thursday morning - leaving Gloucester - red sky in the morning - sailors take warning! Evidently we are not heeding that advice.

I am certain this has a name, but I call it Bird Crap Rock - trust me that is not snow.

Sorry, too tired to look up these two lighthouses.  All I can remember is one is abandoned and one is in use. There are too many - I need to start writing them down.

I know it's a bad picture -but a cute little seal in the harbor as we are approaching Portsmouth, NH.  

 Lighthouse Whaleback Rock on Maine side of the harbor - entrance to Portsmouth.

Lighthouse, Portsmouth, NH - Fort Constitution.

Our friends, Wayne & Carol on a Krogen Whaleback (Take Time) recently purchased 15 acres of land in Raymond, NH about 20 minute drive from the marina we ended up staying at (Great Bay Marine on the Piscataqua River). They are in the process of building (with their own blood, sweat and tears) a home on the property.  Shortly after getting Broulee secured to the dock, they showed up and whisked us off to see the sights of downtown Portsmouth.    
Walking downton Portsmouth.

The Oracle House built in 1702 is one of the oldest homes in New England.

Amazing gardens at Prospect Park - downtown on the waterfront, Portsmouth.

ok so now you know my weeknesses - it is flowers, sunsets, sunrises and lighthouses.

My new favorite fingerfood - fried pickles - at Fat Belly's restaurant.

The next day we arranged to meet with them again for a full day of provisioning and to see the progress at the homestead.  In the early morning we moved Broulee to the fuel dock ($3.45 for diesel - whoohoo!) and then got shopping lists ready and headed out for the day.  While grocery shopping, Wayne and Carol decided to load up on Lobster and Corn on the Cob for our evening meal.  A stop at West Marine, Napa, Lowe's and Tractor Supply and we headed to the mountains.

One of two driveways each at least a quarter mile long - this is the lower drive - they did the clearing, the leveling, the gravel, and the french drains - amazing.

Just some of Wayne's new toys.

Yesterday the two of them started pouring the foundation.

The upper drive - which will be the main driveway up to the house.  Again, can't believe the two of them did this all by themselves.
Normally they are living aboard their boat which is in Florida right now, but, this is their temporary digs while working on the project.

While the lobster's are steaming -  
Rick and Carol are down by the brook picking vegetables from Carol's garden - fresh tomatoes and cucumbers - nummy.

and look what was waiting for us when we got back.  The softshell lobster are running right now and over abundant - $3.99 a pound and were still alive and kicking - so much so, we thought one got loose in the van.

Bon apetite!

We can't thank Wayne and Carol enough for their generous hospitality and dragging us all over town for provisions - and Izzy cannot thank them enough for driving all over town in search of her favorite, doughnut holes!

Morning departure - waiting for current to go slack, so we can get off the dock and
waiting for the fog to lift.

Oh, no - there goes the dock.

Some pics of the Naval yard.
Submarine in the yard.

Still a little foggy when we got to the harbor - but, the captain is convinced it will burn off.

We traveled in pea soup fog for at least another 45 minutes.  As usual, I was a wreck, but the captain enjoyed the challenge - 
Bye, Bye New Hampshire - next stop Maine.

P.S.  this post is from Saturday - we are in Stonington in Penobscot Bay at a Krogen gathering - Verizon Hot Spot is iffy.  We will catch you up with our adventures in Maine - when we can.  IT'S AWESOME HERE.


  1. Gail and I so enjoy your blog. Outstanding pictures. Thanks for sharing with us.

  2. Hey guys the lobster tastes better when not boiled with the rubber bands on. Keep having fun.

    Donnie, Marilyn & Chloe

  3. Loving the photos and the adventures!