-E.B. White

Saturday, June 20, 2020


May 22nd, a very exciting day - I was finally able to score toilet paper and paper towels.  Rick has a virtual doctor visit on the 26th of May as a follow up to his gallbladder removal.  If he gets the sign of approval we are scheduled to fly out of here on the 27th to Florida to move Broulee from Marco Island to River Forest storage on the Okeechobee waterway near LaBelle.

We also needed to get greenhouse, screen porch and front porch unpacked and opened up before heading south.  The green house is our storage place for all our tropical plants which we move outdoors in the spring when temps warm up and move back in before temps get cold in the fall.

The greenhouse is part of our house and is heated, irrigated and sunlamps are used for artifical sunlight in the winter.

The screen porch connects to both the greenhouse and the front porch and is used for winter storage of all the screen porch and front porch furniture and cushions.

The front porch.  Just a heads up all this needs to be packed up and re-stored in October.

Lakeview from the front porch on a hot steamy day.

So with that all behind us and a clean bill of health for Rick we flew out of Minneapolis on the 27th of May on a nearly empty plane (27 people) and mostly everyone wearing masks. Rick has another ERCP on June 4th to have his stent removed,  so once again, we will be moving Broulee on a schedule.  Hauling out on June 1st and flying back to Minnesota on June 1st.  Keeping our fingers crossed for decent weather and seas.

Long story short - we got to Broulee and found that at some point while we were gone, one of our air conditioners had tripped the breaker on our dock so power had been off for who knows how long.  I don't even want to describe the condition of the refrig/freezer.  We called River Forest to explain we would probably not get there until Saturday or Sunday and they said because of Covid-19 their insurance company does not allow people coming in on the weekend when they are not there.  Ok, we will try and make it work.  Worked all night cleaning fridge, Thursday morning got a mechanic at our marina to fix AC, ran and got groceries with a plan to leave at noon.  Weather not looking good, severe weather heading our way with the possibility of tornadoes.  We decided to wait until the storm blows through at 5-6:00 which could get us to our anchorage at Ft. Myers Beach at midnight.

The predicted storm fell apart so all hands on deck - readying to launch at 5:00 PM.

Leaving marina and yacht club, bye, bye, SS Jollly Bridge, and heading into the Marco River.

We immediately picked up a dolphin which became our harbor pilot taking us all the way to the gulf.  

Never gets old, always amazing.

Our departure committee.  Looks like blue skies and calm seas.

It was a beautiful nighttime run up to Ft. Myers Beach.  Anchor down by 11:30 PM and a good nights sleep.

Up early and very hot and humid.  We ran with A/C on all the way to River Forest.  Arriving at our haulout destination by 3:00 on Friday, Whew!  

Early Saturday morning May 30th, we welcomed great nephew, Tipton.  Way to go, again, Josh and Ali.

Saturday our good friend Doug ran over from Naples to pick us up to get our rental car back at Marco.  Then the cleaning and storing began.

This guy came to visit us while we were cleaning.

I run nearly everyday - heat and humidity here are a challenge for me.  I ran up to the Ortona Lock and at 7:00 in the morning you could barely see thru the heavy dew.

Pretty little tug waiting for the lock to open at 8:00 AM.

This time of year you can expect a storm to arrive in the afternoon.  Wall cloud heading our direction.  

Storm stayed mostly east of us and we got to see a rainbow - all good.

All clean and ready to haulout - June 1st.  Our insurance company requires her to be in storage by the start of hurricane season - see you in the fall, Broulee!

Our return flight on June 1st.  When I booked the flight they were still leaving seats in the middle off limits.  Florida works on other rules - if they can fill the plane they fill it.  This flight was completely full and mass confusion, we were lucky to get off the ground.  Anyway we managed to get home, Rick had a successful stent removal on the 4th of June and he has been feeling great, just looking for more energy and trying to put some meat and muscle on his bones.  

In these tough times -
 "Find a place inside where there is joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"
Joseph Campbell 

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Coronavirus Horse Race

Quick Update

Surgery went well, now taking everything one day at a time.  Sounds like Governor is opening restrictions on retail business on Monday the 18th, with the hope to open bars, restaurants and salons on June 1st.  Minnesota is mostly a follow the rules kind of people so masks and distancing has been easier for us.  80% of our 700 deaths are in Senior living arrangements..  I have not been able to see my Dad since March 5th.  Hes doing well, but there have been several deaths at his facility.  Our kids are doing good because they are lucky to work for their companies from their own homes. 

Alive and well after surgery.  Waiting on better days

Gardens are flourishing, Temps in the 80's - 90's predicted for the week of May 18th. 

Dock and pontoon are in, today is an all day rain kind of day, forcing Rick to lay low as doctor has ordered.  Those of you that know Rick, its been a challenging day (for both of us). 

Sunday, May 10, 2020


So here is where the craziness starts.  End of February Izzy back in a hotel room for the three day trek back up to Minnesota for a spur of the moment spring break ski trip in Montana with kids and grandkids March 6th - 11th.  

Izzy says the drive was worth it - back in the snow, again, Anaconda, Montana, perfect!

View of Discovery Ski area, Anaconda, MT from our little cabin in the hills.

No view of mountain today - wake up everyone, fresh powder!

Rick & Son, Brad 

Pops, Brad & Bayler - skiing is in their DNA

Dinner with Rymers at the Fairmont after a swim in the hot springs

Cooper, Bayler, Katie, Nana & Pops family dinner at the local chicken shack - the end to a perfect ski trip!

Kids flew back to Minnesota on the 11th and we decided to head south to AZ house before heading east to Florida.  Lots of beautiful scenery along the way.

Mountains in Utah

Lake Mead recreational area

It has been a long time since Rick had skied Snowbowl in Flagstaff, AZ so we decided to spend the night and ski the mountain next morning.  Lucky to wake up to fresh snow on the mountain.

Skiing Snowbowl

Arriving back in Queen Valley, AZ.   Queen Creek, due to lots of rain and  snow in the mountains, was rushing thru town and the desert was in full bloom

All looked good at the "little house in the desert" so we decided to make the 4 day trip back to Broulee.

Rick's mom always said, Man makes plans and the gods laugh.  We made it to Van Horn, Tx (2 hours east of El Paso) Rick had been dealing with indigestion all day.  We woke up the next  morning and he was severely jaundiced.  We decided to go to the urgency room in the little town and come to find out he was dealing with Gall Bladder and pancreas issues.  He needed to be hospitalized immediately so it was back to El Paso for an emergency endoscopy to see what was going on.  Turns out his common bile duct was blocked and they needed to put a stent in and recommended gall bladder removal. We opted to have gall bladder removed when we get  back to Minnesota. Our plans at this point are to continue on to Florida to put Broulee away for the summer.  Izzy and I spent six days in a hotel while they tried to get his lipase numbers down before releasing him.  Sunday the 22nd of March we made the decision to head north to Minnesota.  We were home on the 24th just in time for MN Shelter-In-Place to take effect on the 25th. Which now means Gall Bladder surgery is on hold as it is considered elective surgery, that is unless he has another attack and turns yellow again.  I have four pet peeves during this Covid-19 thing.  People in grocery stores not wearing masks or self distancing. Guns at protest rallies. Walkers that walk three abreast and hog the sidewalk and last, but not least, the toilet paper hoarders (whats up with that?)

On April 22nd Rick had another ERCP so doc here could see what they are dealing with.  On April 30th our Governor extended our stay at home till May 18th relaxing some restrictions on curbside pickups for retail stores.  On May 2nd Rick ended up in the emergency room with severe gut pain.  They kept him for the day, but sent him home in the afternoon after giving him some good pain drugs with the message, come back if/when it happens again.  Wow, thats encouraging! 

  May 5th our Governor signed an order to safely restart elective surgeries.  On May 7th Rick's GI doc called and scheduled his surgery for May 14th.  

Hope is in the air

Happy Spring

Facts not Fear

Please don't drink bleach!

Tuesday, April 28, 2020


We decided to drive back to Minnesota for the holidays, to spend time with our family and friends.  The marina at Marco Island has been going thru some changes regarding live-a-boards (against our wishes) so the marina was pretty much empty of people and celebrations, i.e. happy hour docktails.  

Enroute to MN, Izzy seems to know we are heading north to snow, her favorite!!

The girls from the hood at Murrays' annual Xmas party.  Also lots of Christmas caroling with Rautenbergs and lots of snow time for Izzy.  


Darn, back in car - but instead of heading back to Florida we decided to take a side trip to Arizona house for a quick visit with friends at the wrinkle ranch, some golf and then back north for some skiing in Colorado.  We left on Christmas day - turned out to be a good day for no semi- truck traffic on the roads.

Christmas evening - Wichita, Ks.  Lucky for us restaurant across street from our hotel (Dave & Buster's) was open for dinner.  Wine & Burgers, perfect!

Meanwhile back at the hotel - Izzy enjoying her bed pillows after a long day on the road.

Pretty little golf course at the base of Superstition Mountains.  Looks like rain in them there hills.

Touring Canyon Lake from the steamboat "Dolly"

Then north to Pagosa Springs, CO for some skiing.  Rick with Susan & Rich Hampton.

Then it was back to Minnesota - unpacking ski gear and golf clubs and making plans to return to Broulee in Florida.

Jan 13th - Birmingham, AL - long day on the road for everyone.  Should be back to boat tomorrow.

Of, course, more projects on "this old boat".  Rick decided to refinish the pilot house floor.  Once, again, nothing is as easy as it seems.  We first thought just a quick sanding and refinish - 

Not a very good pic - but Mr. perfectionist decided the floor needed to be completely stripped  

A few more coats and it should be good. 

We decided to take a break from projects and will get back to final coats before we put Broulee into storage, or will we?????  We had originally planned on taking a trip down to Key West on Broulee to visit friends Vince & Mary at Stock Island Marina, but we couldn't get a good weather window so we loaded Izzy into the car, again, for a trip down to Key West. 

Key West Sunset - yup Key West is still Key West.

 Rick & Izzy enjoying wine & popcorn around the fire pit at our $400.00 a night hotel in Key West. (It's a long story)  Anyway, fun to spend some time with Vince & Mary.

  For Deb, it was back to MN Feb 8th - 11th.  Just some Dad time and getting caught up on paperwork.

Deb returning to Broulee just in time for a Minnesota reunion with Doug & Robbie, Mary & Mark and Jane & Dean at Isle of Capri Fish House.  Good food and good friends!  Also we were surprised with a visit from former Krogen owners, Wayne & Carol.  They decided to venture out of cold/snowy New Hampshire and spend some time in their old stomping grounds of Marco, very fun to see them!

We are now back in MN deciding to Shelter-In-Place in a state with low covid-19 stats and a level headed governor.

Everyone stay safe!!!!!

roh, roh - stay tuned (El Paso, Tx - March 16th)