-E.B. White

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Coronavirus Horse Race

Quick Update

Surgery went well, now taking everything one day at a time.  Sounds like Governor is opening restrictions on retail business on Monday the 18th, with the hope to open bars, restaurants and salons on June 1st.  Minnesota is mostly a follow the rules kind of people so masks and distancing has been easier for us.  80% of our 700 deaths are in Senior living arrangements..  I have not been able to see my Dad since March 5th.  Hes doing well, but there have been several deaths at his facility.  Our kids are doing good because they are lucky to work for their companies from their own homes. 

Alive and well after surgery.  Waiting on better days

Gardens are flourishing, Temps in the 80's - 90's predicted for the week of May 18th. 

Dock and pontoon are in, today is an all day rain kind of day, forcing Rick to lay low as doctor has ordered.  Those of you that know Rick, its been a challenging day (for both of us). 

Sunday, May 10, 2020


So here is where the craziness starts.  End of February Izzy back in a hotel room for the three day trek back up to Minnesota for a spur of the moment spring break ski trip in Montana with kids and grandkids March 6th - 11th.  

Izzy says the drive was worth it - back in the snow, again, Anaconda, Montana, perfect!

View of Discovery Ski area, Anaconda, MT from our little cabin in the hills.

No view of mountain today - wake up everyone, fresh powder!

Rick & Son, Brad 

Pops, Brad & Bayler - skiing is in their DNA

Dinner with Rymers at the Fairmont after a swim in the hot springs

Cooper, Bayler, Katie, Nana & Pops family dinner at the local chicken shack - the end to a perfect ski trip!

Kids flew back to Minnesota on the 11th and we decided to head south to AZ house before heading east to Florida.  Lots of beautiful scenery along the way.

Mountains in Utah

Lake Mead recreational area

It has been a long time since Rick had skied Snowbowl in Flagstaff, AZ so we decided to spend the night and ski the mountain next morning.  Lucky to wake up to fresh snow on the mountain.

Skiing Snowbowl

Arriving back in Queen Valley, AZ.   Queen Creek, due to lots of rain and  snow in the mountains, was rushing thru town and the desert was in full bloom

All looked good at the "little house in the desert" so we decided to make the 4 day trip back to Broulee.

Rick's mom always said, Man makes plans and the gods laugh.  We made it to Van Horn, Tx (2 hours east of El Paso) Rick had been dealing with indigestion all day.  We woke up the next  morning and he was severely jaundiced.  We decided to go to the urgency room in the little town and come to find out he was dealing with Gall Bladder and pancreas issues.  He needed to be hospitalized immediately so it was back to El Paso for an emergency endoscopy to see what was going on.  Turns out his common bile duct was blocked and they needed to put a stent in and recommended gall bladder removal. We opted to have gall bladder removed when we get  back to Minnesota. Our plans at this point are to continue on to Florida to put Broulee away for the summer.  Izzy and I spent six days in a hotel while they tried to get his lipase numbers down before releasing him.  Sunday the 22nd of March we made the decision to head north to Minnesota.  We were home on the 24th just in time for MN Shelter-In-Place to take effect on the 25th. Which now means Gall Bladder surgery is on hold as it is considered elective surgery, that is unless he has another attack and turns yellow again.  I have four pet peeves during this Covid-19 thing.  People in grocery stores not wearing masks or self distancing. Guns at protest rallies. Walkers that walk three abreast and hog the sidewalk and last, but not least, the toilet paper hoarders (whats up with that?)

On April 22nd Rick had another ERCP so doc here could see what they are dealing with.  On April 30th our Governor extended our stay at home till May 18th relaxing some restrictions on curbside pickups for retail stores.  On May 2nd Rick ended up in the emergency room with severe gut pain.  They kept him for the day, but sent him home in the afternoon after giving him some good pain drugs with the message, come back if/when it happens again.  Wow, thats encouraging! 

  May 5th our Governor signed an order to safely restart elective surgeries.  On May 7th Rick's GI doc called and scheduled his surgery for May 14th.  

Hope is in the air

Happy Spring

Facts not Fear

Please don't drink bleach!